Fresh Tomato-Cilantro Salsa (Chirmol in Guatemala)
- 1 big ripe juicy tomato, or two medium, or three small.
- About 2 tablespoons of finely chopped white onion.
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped cilantro.
- A little bit of chopped fresh chile. If you like it spicy, use any hot fresh chile that you have. It's hard to tell you how much to use, as chiles vary a lot. Add a little and taste, if you want it spicier, add more.
- 1/4 of a lime.
- Chop the tomato and add it--juice skin and all--to a mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped onion, chile and cilantro.
- Squeeze your lime quarter into the mixture.
- Add a pinch of salt and taste, you probably need to add another pinch, but that depends on the size of your pinch!
- This salsa is all about balance, so taste it and think about whether the sour and the spicy and the savory are all in balance. You can add more lime juice, salt or chile to harmonize the flavo
- That's it. This salsa tastes really fresh and clean, and will be a revelation if you're used to stodgy store bought salsa from a jar.